Top DIY SEO Tactics for New Website Owners
So, you have considerable knowledge about Web development and design. If you decide to set up a domain because you think that your learning is enough, you should think twice.
You have to be aware that you need more than a creative and professional-looking site to get the attention of your target visitors and keep them engaged at the same time. What good would your Flash graphics do if you cannot present them with useful information, right?
With that said, you need to remember that the key to a successful website is the combination of great design and search engine optimisation (SEO). The former helps pique the users’ interest, while the latter makes them want to check out your portal repeatedly.
But before you actually direct traffic to your site, you must rank in search engine result pages (SERPs) first. And do not just settle for the bottom results, you have to dedicate your time and effort on practising the best SEO strategies to land on the top page.
Why should you? To help you discover the importance of high ranking, have a look at these statistics.
- Search is the top online activity, and it drives more traffic to content websites than social media. In fact, it beats the latter by over 300%.
- Approximately 93% of Internet experiences start with the use of search engines.
- Throughout the world, there are more than 100 billion queries performed each month.
- Around 70-80% of Web users prefer organic query results than paid adverts.
- An estimated 75% of users only look for information on the first page.
Given these whopping figures, you can see just how vital SEO is to webmasters.
Assuming that you have less insight on optimising your webpages, you can get ideas from the following…
Easy SEO Tricks
1. Produce good content
You must know that this aspect does not only comprise of articles. It also encompasses videos, images, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) pages, and polls. You can also post user generated content like customer reviews and testimonials, which is applicable if you have an e-commerce site. You can also include infographics or information graphics, which are visual data representations.
If you wish to make your pages both informative and entertaining, you can combine a few of these elements. And, while you are at it, take note of these pointers.
- Come up with original and compelling articles.
- Focus on fresh, relevant, and interesting topics.
- Create catchy titles and subheadings.
- Use bullets or numbers to enumerate certain information or separate paragraphs with subheadings.
- Place niche-related keywords. If, for instance, your website is about weight loss, you can incorporate your write-up with the words specified on the image.
- Refer to tools, such as Google Insights for Search or Keyword Tool, to find popular search terms.
- Do all these things regularly.
2. Put images
As mentioned, pictures make webpages more appealing. However, you have to remember that large file sizes can make your site’s loading speed sluggish. Therefore, opt for images with smaller bytes. Additionally, avoid using flash graphics as this can (again) slow down page load speed. Finally, do not forget to use your main keyword in the filename.
3. Create internal links
There are numerous ways of doing this, but since you are only beginning to learn about SEO, let us focus on simple methods, such as the following:
- Place anchor texts – These are 2 or 4-word hyperlinks, which direct the users to another page on your site.
- Make a sitemap – This is a formatted file, which you can generate using a tool. Having this allows the spiders to index and crawl your portal for relevant data.
According to Google Webmaster Guidelines, each webpage must be accessible through one static or fixed text link (at least). Plus, you need to minimise the links on a certain page.
4. Obtain backlinks
If internal links lead to pages within your website, backlinks (also inbound links) direct the users from other portals to your site or any page on it. Generally, the number of inbound links you acquire determines your popularity and credibility, especially if these come from authoritative websites.
As a note, generating backlinks has to be natural, which means that you should not result to black hat schemes like paying for or exchanging these.
Technically, the best means of getting a nod from credible sites and having them link to you is to make your content as valuable and compelling as possible. The more relevant and informative your insights are to them and the users, the more they will see you as reliable. When you exude this image, they will mention your website or page URL on their posts or suggest these to their network or affiliates.
5. Combine social media
While this may not bring in the best results to your SEO campaign, it pays to have those social sharing buttons on your webpages. Who knows, the visitors may click on “Share” or “Like”, earning you a backlink.
So, there you have five simple optimisation strategies to help boost your ranking in SERPs.
Now, these techniques are not exhaustive of all the things you have to do. However, as a beginner, these are enough to get you started. So, work on them today and do not forget to keep in line with search engine guidelines.
About the Author: Emma Tomlinson is the Head of Retail at Smart Traffic, a leading search agency that provides pay on results SEO packages and other solutions to both SMEs and big companies across the globe.